Dear Colleagues Double eyelid surgery is a specific type of eyelid surgery in which a crease is formed in the upper eyelids, forming double eyelids.
You can choose this procedure, called blepharoplasty, if you want to fix your eyelashes – such as drooping eyelashes or eye bags – or if you want to change the look of your eyelashes.
Keep reading this post of ours as we go into detail about what you can expect from double eyelid surgery, before and after photos, nonsurgical options and results today, and try to give you a complete overview
What are double eyelids?
It has been seen that the eyelashes of some people start appearing, which we and you know by the name of double eyelashes. Some were born without eyelid folds. This is called a single lid or monolid. There is nothing medically wrong to do so.
Here are some reasons why you might need double eyelid surgery:
- Your eyelashes are interfering with your vision.
- You have a single and a double eyelid, and you want to match them.
- Permanent creases can help make your eyes look bigger.
- Certain styles of makeup will be easier to apply.
Let us tell you that people all over the world get double eyelid blepharoplasty. It is the most common aesthetic surgery in East Asia.
Surgery for double eyelids
Let us tell you that whenever you do this surgery, eyelid surgery should be done by a qualified plastic surgeon with experience. Here are some things to discuss during your surgical consultation:
- Have a problem with your eyes or the area around your eyes?
- Your medical history, including pre-existing conditions, prescription medications, and known allergies
- Is an incisional or non-invasive technique a better option for you?
- The specifics of the procedure, including what type of anaesthesia will be used
What you need to know about risk and recovery
Let us tell you that both contingency and non-emergent techniques can be done on an outpatient basis. After this, you will have some kind of anaesthesia and your eyes will be sensitive, so you will not be able to drive yourself home in this situation. Be sure to arrange transportation in advance.
Let me tell you that here are the basic steps for double eyelid surgery using some incision methods:
- The proposed double eyelid line will be carefully measured and marked with a pen.
- IV sedation or general anaesthesia will be given with local anaesthetic.
- Several small incisions will be made along the double eyelid line.
- The marked skin will be removed.
- The orbicularis oculi muscle and adipose tissue will be removed between the incisions.
- The incisions will be closed with skin glue or sutures that will need to be removed four or five days after surgery.
If you have thick skin, need to remove excess skin and fat, or are looking for permanent results, the incision technique may be a good option. This process is not reversible. Some potential risks are:
- Allergic reaction to anaesthesia
- temporary or permanent change in vision
- visible mark
It may be important for you to know that a double eyelid can be made without any incision. This procedure is called the buried suture technique. It is also performed under general anesthesia or with IV sedation and local anaesthetic.
As with the yer incision technique, the eyelid will be carefully measured and marked. Then, small punctures are made in the skin along the line.
Let us tell you that the stitches are placed through the puncture and tightened until they form the desired crease. The sutures will remain under the skin, out of sight. You don’t have to go back to get them.
You will usually have fewer scars with the non-invasive procedure, and this can be reversed. If you don’t need to remove excess skin and fat, a non-incisional technique may be a good option. Some potential risks are:
- visible puncture marks when your eyes are closed
- irritation from the sutures
- inclusion cyst from a buried stitch
- asymmetry or loosening of the double fold
Before and after pictures
How much does it cost?
Let us tell you that the American Society of Plastic Surgeons put the average cost of cosmetic eyelid surgery at $3,163 in 2018. This is just average for surgery. This estimate does not include anaesthesia, operating room costs, or other related expenses, so the cost is likely to be higher if you have these surgeries.
Here the cost may vary depending on a few factors, such as:
- your geographic location
- what presurgery tests are needed
- the type of procedure
- prescription medications
- any complications
- the surgeon and surgical facility
Dear friends, if you have already decided to have your surgery carbon, then your surgery is interfering with your eyelashes or vision, then it can be covered by insurance.
Let us tell you that it is a good idea to get pre-authorization for the process. However, most policies do not cover any part of cosmetic surgery.
Other (nonsurgical) techniques for double eyelids
Give you that a variety of eyelid tapes and glues are marketed as a way to get double eyelashes. You can find them in drug stores or where beauty products are sold. These items are used to line the crease in the eyelid.
You can find double eyelid tape and double eyelid glue online.
If you don’t like the result, you can easily remove them.
They may temporarily give you the eye crease you want.
You can try the look before going all-in on the surgery.
You can avoid a surgical procedure.
They may become visible or fall out of place.
You have to apply them every day.
You might get glue in your eye, which can damage your vision.
Everyday use can cause redness and irritation.
You can have an allergic reaction.
Let us tell you that when using these products, be sure to wash your hands before applying. Change the eyelid tape every day, and keep the area around your eyes clean. If your eyelids are swollen, stop using it immediately.
Dear Reader If you are concerned about the health of your eyes, talk to your eye doctor before using eyelid tape and glue, or if you have eye irritation.
Recovery time and expectations
Usually, the initial healing time after an emergency procedure can last up to two weeks. Let us tell you that it can take several months for a full recovery. While you are recovering, you may have:
- bleeding from the incision
- dry eyes, light sensitivity
- swelling, changes in skin sensation
Let us tell you that these symptoms should be temporary. Here we have given some remedies to get relief from burning eyes:
- Apply lubricating ointment or any other prescribed medications.
- Wear sunglasses when outside until you’re fully healed.
- Use cold compresses as recommended by your doctor.
Usually, with non-incisional techniques, you can expect to make a full recovery within two weeks.
Let us tell you that for any procedure, follow your surgeon’s discharge instructions. Antibiotics may be prescribed to protect against infection. Take them all, even if you feel completely healthy. Be sure to report any signs of infection or post-op side effects immediately.
READ MORE: Phocomelia: What Do You Need To Know Or Not?
Usually, double eyelids are eyelashes with visible double creases. Double eyelid surgery can be done to add crease to the eyelids, usually as a matter of personal preference.
Consult with your eye doctor and a qualified plastic surgeon to discuss the pros and cons and to find out if you are a good candidate for this procedure.
Let us tell you that there are also nonsurgical options for making double eyelashes. Keep in mind, there is nothing medically wrong with having double or single eyelashes – both are completely normal.